Many of our patients have felt a dissatisfaction with their ears from a very young age. The most common concern related to ear appearance is that they “stick out” too much. Otoplasty – often referred to as “ear pinning” surgery – can change the relationship of the ear to the face and the side of the head.
Here are a few facts about Otoplasty:
- It can be performed on a child as young as 6 or 7 years old (unlike most other plastic surgeries) because at that age the ears are 90% of the size they will be as an adult.
- This surgery is not just for ears that stick out.
- It can address the shape and symmetry of the ears, including reducing the size of the earlobes if they are too large.
- The surgery does not require general anesthesia. It can be performed under local anesthesia combined with oral sedation alone or together with an IV sedation.
- Pain is usually minimal and easily controlled with Ibuprofen or Tylenol.
- The recovery time for an adult or a child is about 1 to 2 weeks.
View some of our Otoplasty before and after photos.
A successful Otoplasty can be a dramatic transformation for a child, a teen, or an adult.
Call our Santa Barbara Cosmetic Surgery Center office today – 805-563-0000 – to schedule an Otoplasty consultation for you or your child.