Santa Barbara Skin Care Home Regimen by Dr. Perkins
Santa Barbara cosmetic surgeon Dr. Terry Perkins believes that an effective at-home skin care regimen is an essential part of maintaining younger-looking, beautiful skin. We hope that this home care skin regimen by Dr. Perkins will inspire you to renew (or start) your dedication to healthy skin.
If you are a person who routinely has facials and does a chemical peel every few months, you are not exempt from participating in good skin care practices! Did you know that how you care for your skin at home can account for 50% of the end result? An effective at-home skin care strategy can both enhance the power of your facial / chemical peel / laser facial treatment and can prolong the results. Truly a “win-win” situation.
The home care regimen that I recommend is not something I learned in medical school or from a beauty magazine. The idea came to me one piece at a time as I reflected upon what products the skin benefits from on an ongoing basis. As the founder of Evolutions Medical Spa, and being an active Medical Director there, I have had the benefit of being introduced to and studying many different medical-grade skin care products that have higher active ingredient levels and, thus, have a greater effect on the skin than products purchased at a department store. This is why I recommend using physician grade products for a notable result.
An easy way to remember my universal skin care regimen is by the acronym CHEARS. CHEARS stands for:
- Cleanser: use a cleanser that is suitable for your skin type; I recommend using the Clarisonic brush to give your skin a deep clean below the surface. Cleanse in the morning and evening.
- Hydration: hydrate your skin daily using a moisturizer that works with your skin type (dry, oily, combination). Keeping your skin hydrated will keep your skin plump for a fresh complexion. Moisturize once per day.
- Exfoliant: the use of an exfoliant helps to break down the dead cells on the outermost layer of the skin and promote cell turnover. Exfoliate your skin 2 times per week.
- Antioxidant: a high quality antioxidant cream helps to combat the signs of aging. Use 3 times per week.
- Retinoids: use of a topical retinoid cream (commonly known as the brand name, Retin-A) has been proven to be a great wrinkle fighter. Use 2 times per week.
- Sun protection: use sun protection on your face, neck, decolletage, and hands to ward off fine lines, wrinkles, and excessive pigmentation (age and “liver” spots). Sun protection should be used daily, year round and I recommend products that provide a “physical block” such as those that contain zinc oxide.
Embarking on my home care regimen will enable you to have more control of your skin’s natural aging process. I hope that the above information persuades you to start, or re-dedicate, yourself to renewing your skin health in the years to come. CHEARS to healthy, glowing skin!
The post Santa Barbara Skin Care Home Regimen by Dr. Perkins appeared first on .